Monday, November 23, 2009

Thanks, Dad

My dad bought the Starbuck’s Christmas cd for me; I’ve been listening to it all weekend and all morning. The very first song it Baby it’s Cold Outside, sung by Norah Jones and Willie Nelson (who is that, you ask? Click here, he’s been around a while). Yesterday he (my dad, not WIllie Nelson) went to the Fresno State girls basketball game with me and a bunch of church people and was telling me that he wiki-ed Baby it’s Cold Outside, and it turns out it has quite an interesting story, not to mention its an awesome song. Norah and Willie do quite a good job, and I find myself wanting to get my hands on some Willy Nelson music.

The cd has really great songs, and one of them is Little Saint Nick by the Beach Boys. My dad has a friend, Wil, with whom he has been friends for YEARS, he goes to our church, and I have these memories of Wil who LOVES the beach boys. Anyway, when I was little he drove this yellow little car (I think it was a corolla), and he would let me ride in front and shift the gears for him when we went somewhere together. Every Friday night there was a group of people that would get together at the church I grew up at and play volleyball until late, and afterwards we would go out and get iced tea and fried food at Carls Jr. or A&W, and I would ride with Wil, and undoubtedly there was a Beach Boys tape playing in his car. I still remember the way the car smelled, and I loved shifting gears when I rode in it. I’m fairly certain that I thought I was actually driving.

So, I guess I am recommending the cd to everyone. It’s quite cheery.

8 comments:

Uncle Skip, said...

Willie Nelson... who'd 'a'' thought.
I will try to remember to bring Milk Cow Blues this week... oh and maybe the Highwaymen.
Oh, yeah... and he writes music better than he sings and he sings a lot better'n me.

Monticore said...

Not to bug you but what's up with Picture Fresno? No pictures since Friday? Me so sad

Bek said...

I remember "driving" Wil's car too...good times :)

FYI--Picture Fresno is on a break this week

Adam said...

Hey what's going on with picture Fresno? The comments are in reverse chronological order and there aren't any new pictures for Saturday or today.

Adam said...

Ha, that's what I get for not reading the comments before me.

edluv said...

breaks are not allowed for picture fresno! i need my drugs!

Carrie said...

Speaking of PF, I vote for updates on pictures that haven't been guessed after a certain amount of time with another picture from the site.

m.wise said...

i bought this today for my mom and gave it to her (she also loves loves loves christmas music). thank you for the recomendation :)