Friday, October 09, 2009

Thoughts on a Friday afternoon

It's strange how you can think you're a good person and not actually be one, and visa versa. Anna texted me this afternoon asking if I had time to run by Marie Calendar's and get a pie for a dinner they are hosting tonight, and since I was out running errands with Bek I said that we'd do it. I bought the pie (berry, $6.99) and as I was leaving I held the door for an elderly (or at least 65) man who commented to me that it was nice to see that kindness hadn't gone out of style. It got me thinking about things. What is it about that that was bothering me? Maybe it was that I know I'm not that good of a person. Maybe it was that he was defining kindness in a way that I consider common, not like a concious act of kindness. Maybe I'm crazy (I said maybe). But anyway, I just was thinking, you can do all these things to be a good person, recycle, say please and thank you, treat those serving you with respect, remember people's birthdays, notice when someone looks nice, buy a coffee for a homeless guy, whatever, and you might not actually be a good person.  You might, like me, just do that kind of stuff because you were taught to, or because you know it's socially the better thing to do.

I'm not sure where I was going with this, and I suppose it doesn't really matter, but they were just thoughts.

4 comments:

Uncle Skip said...

If more folks stopped to think like that, the world would probably be much better off.

Scott and Malisa Johnson said...

Its interesting to see how different people define "a good person." Thank goodness I believe in that faith not works thing! :) Not that I don't think its important to do good works, but it just sort of gets me out of trying to define "good." Because that's hard!

Bekah said...

I am pretty sure we were taught like that. I think we were taught to be respectful to all people (whether we like them or not or even know who they are) so for us we just do things like hold a door for people becasue thats just what you do.

Carrie said...

Maybe he was mistaking "kindness" with "politeness".