Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Playing pretend, or, In which I feel awkward

I went to church last night to trade cars with my dad (he had the Belvedere).  I got there at about 5:30 and my dad wasn't supposed to get there until 6:15 or so for a prayer meeting, but I wasn't going to drive all the way to Calwa to trade, so I figured I'd wait at church.  A friend of mine was there with her daughter (i think she's 4 years old) and she and I talked for a bit.  So, this kid came up to me and wanted to play pretend, and I didn't want to tell her no, so we pretended.  Now, I am not really a pretend-y type of person (I mean, you can't possibly be shocked) and I was sort of at a loss for what to with her.  Luckily (or unluckily depending on how you look at it) she told me what we would pretend.  I think she was the mom for a while, but when it was time for a meal (how awkward is it to cook spaghetti using the air as the utensils, food, pot, and dishes?) I was the one doing the cooking.  I did, however, make her wash the (non-existent) dishes.  Then we would go to sleep and not wake up until the rooster said cock-a-doodle-doo.  It was the STRANGEST thing I have ever taken part in.

It also got me thinking (and I was even thinking about it this morning still), the kids I babysat for YEARS didn't do that stuff.  I mean, I'm sure they pretended, but never with me, or any other adult that I can think of, and honestly, I don't really remember them doing it amongst themselves.  Was I not paying attention? I don't think so, I think they just didn't pretend like this four-year-old does.  Is Georgia going to do that?  Is she supposed to?  What if she doesn't?  What if she does and I go crazy making fake meals?

Anyway, it was very odd.  The child seemed thrilled though, and either she didn't notice that I was not at all comfortable or she didn't care, so I guess it was all fine.  They are strange creatures though, children.  Very strange.

7 comments:

Carrie said...

Funny, I just read this article in the NYT where there is this new school of thought that children playing make-believe learn to have better self-control through the fake created environments. Since they have to follow the rules and roles of pretend, like doing the dishes and not waking up until "cock-a-doodle doo", it teaches them to develop those impulse controls inside of them. Or something like that. Neato though.

But, it didn't say anything about adults doing it, so I think you're off the hook.

timidvenus said...

I kinda want to read that article.

Carrie said...

Here it is: Can the Right Kinds of Play Teach Self-Control?

timidvenus said...

Very interesting. Thanks, car-bear

anna said...

uh g already DOES play pretend. sometimes i'm the mom, sometimes she is, but poor e is ALWAYS the dad. Haven't had to make food yet, though, as it seems she always wants REAL food lol.

timidvenus said...

Yeah, she's told me before that I'm the baby and she's the mom, but we don't actually do anything. She just makes me call her mom.

QTNEY13 said...

hmmmm
I always played pretend! not cooking mote like killing thing and spy games.

I have a crazy imagination which is why you my dear Sara are always bored and I am always entertained.