Monday, June 08, 2009

Reading

I have a very good friend who is a bit older than I am, and her two daughters are 14 and 12. The 14 year old is a fairly avid reader, as is her mom, and was the one to introduce me to the Twilight books. Now, when I was younger the books I read were mostly fantasy/sci fi, with a little of historical fiction in for good measure, and I thoroughly enjoyed the Twilight series. I mean, it was a bit heavy on the gushy love part but the characters were very well developed and the vampire/werewolf storyline was very enveloping. Anyhoo, being a member of goodreads.com, I have been able to find other fantasy books that I might like, and the daughter of my friend also has made some recommendations that I decided to order at the children’s bookstore that employed me all through college (actually, when I ordered the few books last week they also sent me with some other fantasy titles that they wanted reviewed, which I’m all for). So, I decided to read one of the 14-year-old’s recommendations, Wicked Lovely, which is about Faeries. Now, I’ve never been that into Faeries and had a hard time following this book at places. I mean, it wasn’t impossible, and it’s written for high schoolers so it’s not like it had tons of long annoying words that I had to look up, and it did end up being very entertaining, but it puts me in a funny place: do I read the sequel? I don’t really think I want to, but at the same time I want to know what happens…

3 comments:

Carrie said...

I'm not usually into fantasy, even though I loved Harry Potter and LOTR, but my friend loaned me he thought I'd like in that genre called the Amulet of Samarkand. It's the first in something called the Bartimaeous Trilogy, about wizards and shit. Have you read it? I'll let you know what I think.

Uncle Skip, said...

I'm reading a "fantasy" now, but I don't think that was the author's intent.

Uncle Skip, said...

Did you ever finish reading The Book Thief?