Sunday, December 07, 2008

Skirts

So, I was scheduled to work a graveside service yesterday at 11am, and the gentleman that was going to work it with me was going to meet me at the funeral home at 930 so we could load up all the flowers and casket and such and be at the graveside all set up by 10. So, it was freezing cold and I had received 4 calls the night before (of people that passed away) so I knew there was going to be a lot of paperwork to do after the service, which didn't bother me, I was just a bit bothered by the weather. Well, I had a brilliant idea that the guy working in the office that day should go on the service with the other guy leaving me to work on the new cases. I called the owner, who was thrilled that I thought of staying in the office (I pointed out that I wouldn't have time to call the new families before the service and the office worker would end up having to call me during the service to get info on stuff, which would be less than ideal) and so I didn't have to work out in the cold.

Now, that not-so-short story leads me to why I titled the post 'skirts'. The men that I work with all wear suits to work. I, for the most part, own skirt suits, or dresses, but own a few pant suits that I like. A while back I asked my manager about wearing pants and he said it would be fine, so I have worn them a coupla times. Well, last week he and the owner told me that I need to not wear pants any more. The thing is though, I'm sure its not they that have an issue with my attire, its the office manager, an older (mennonite) lady with whom I have had disagreements. Not disagreements that she knows about, but she has obviously disaproved of me a time or two - my manager has told me. So, yeah, I can't wear pants anymore, which sucks becaous long underwear doesn't look that good under a skirt and I freeze all day long.

Also, this gal, the office lady, she never wears pants, but also never has to work a service outside, nor does she work in the freezing cold prep room. So, its a bit of a pain to keep trying to kill her with kindness, especially when its so cold.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

14 comments:

Scott & Malisa Johnson said...

AHHH! I just listed my top three reasons for that being ridiculous, and there were was some blogger glitch that resulted in an error without publishing the comment!

I will get back to you later on my three reasons when I am not insanely exhausted.

Until then, wear a cute pants suit tomorrow just out of spite!!!

anna said...

isn't that sexual harassment, or workplace discrimination, or something???

Kuffy said...

Ridiculous. RIDICULOUS.

timidvenus said...

anna, i dont think so if its required of ALL of the (two) women that work here.

Ann Thrope said...

It seems like it should still be illegal or something.

I mean, I guess work places do have the right to have dress codes and such but I can't imagine they're allowed to tell women they can't wear pants. I mean, that's so 1950's. Especially since it sounds like wearing pants facilitates you doing your job.

Also if the prep room is what I think it is, why do you need to look proper when you're not interacting with the public?

I'm outraged, outraged I tell you!

Monticore said...

Are shorts allowed?? Just a thought. But seriously you have to wear a skirt everyday? And they want you to wear these even if they are ugly and your pants look better? Really?

Monticore said...

Wait I have more ideas. You should wear a skirt but with nylons that are the wrong color for your skin type. Also you should always have a visable panty line. Really my whole life would revolve around showing them that I know how to look professional and I also know how NOT to look professional and the fact that I choose not to wear a skirt has nothing to do with it.

edluv said...

i wonder if you can get around of lot's of the workplace rules because it's a small business, under like fifteen people.

Uncle Skip, said...

Sara -
Just wear the same skirt every day.

duble-u said...

you know skorts? you should invent skants!

Adam said...

Isn't it all the rage to wear a skirt and pants these days?

Adam said...

Oh wait, that was so 2 years ago. My bad.

timidvenus said...

skants, LOL

Gye Greene said...

1880s ankle-length dress/skirt -- plus LAYERS of them bloomer things.

Or, just 1880s ankle-length, plus pants and longjohns. Who'd know? :)


-GG