Monday, August 11, 2008

olympic fever

its funny how life works sometimes. i mean, i usually feel like a young person, and dont tend to notice much that the people around me keep getting younger and younger (well, except for a rare trip to a mall or some such place, where i cant help but run into one of those emo kids that are just plain annoying, and WAY too young to be out shopping without their mommies), but the olympics being on have sort of made me feel a bit older recently. i mean, i take a look at the young gymnast girls and they are so young and yet so good at their sport, or see the beach volleyball team and think, 'those chicks are my age, and they are awesome', and i just feel OLD.

anyway, all this talk is really beside the point, and just a bit of vanity, when what i really wanted to write about was jaime hipp, one of the goalies on the us water polo team. she was a year behind me in school, and we played water polo together at edison high. if i remember correctly, she played my sophomore year (her freshman year), because her brother had been playing (he was goalie as well, at 6'4" or somethng like that, making it the perfect position for him), and im sure she had watched a game or two of his. my freshman year i didnt play polo, but was on the volleyball team (one of my families favorite games), but didnt ever really love it, and so after swim season my freshman year i decided to be on the brand new club polo team for fresno with some of my swim-mates. who knows, lord knows i cant remember, but jaime might have played on that club team as well. anyhoo, she was very tall for a young high schooler, and i think she was put in a goalie early on in her polo career.

so, i was watching the us water polo game against china today (a pretty good match if you get the chance to watch it) and they cut to the bench sitters of the us team, and there i see jaime hipp, cheering on her teammates. i rewind, and play back, and yep, its her. i call my sister, anna (who was in jaimes graduating class) and she was watching too, and said it was her. see, jaime rode the bus with us to tenaya from edison, and we would walk home together (she grew up a few blocks further down the street from us), and neither anna nor i knew that she was in the olympics (although both of our parents said that they knew, that it had been in the paper).

well, now i feel old, which is fine, but its a bit closer to home this time. i mean, shes in the olympics. that is so cool.

6 comments:

Adam said...

Wow! Only one degree away from the Olympics. Fancy.

timidvenus said...

yeah, its almost as good as competing myself, lol

Carrie said...

My mom emailed me about that. I guess there was an article in the Bee about her. I didnt rememberher at first, and then I looked her up and she looked familiar, and then I remembered she had a brother who I always thought was so fricken hot. So I google-stalked him too, and I guess he draws comics now and is still very hot.

PS I told Natalie's little sister about you and Georgia and maybe needing a babysitter and she was super stoked about it, so I will give you her phone number, if you'd like it.

Uncle Skip said...

Shuddup!!!
I don't EVEN want to hear about "feeling" old.

Monticore said...

That is super cool. She's smart and athletically gifted.

Gye Greene said...

I was toying about writing my own "Olympics make me feel old" (or, really, "out of shape") -- but I'd forgotten about your post, here.


Did you see the "oldest woman ever to win gold in the Women's marathon"? I think she's 38yo.

Also, a female gymnast doing the vault: I think she was 33yo or 35yo. Not bad. Got a silver.


--GG