Wednesday, April 09, 2008

how many elements can you name?

my friend, sam, sent me a game on facebook to see how many of the elements i could name in 15 minutes. well, i finally took the test, and it turns out i can only do 63/118. i did stop with four and a half minutes to go, but if you dont know any more why bother looking at it still. also, spelling has to be exact (something chem professors never required), so a few of them i had to try more than once (who knew phosphorus was spelled like that??). anyhoo, my results are below, the red ones were the ones i didnt know.

go here if you want to see how many you know.

9 comments:

Ann Thrope said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ann Thrope said...

That's crazy talk. Everybody knows that 107 of the elements are C, and the other eleven are N, O, S, P, H, Ca, Na, K, Zn, Fe, and trace amounts of Se.

Ann Thrope said...

And yes, I admit I screwed up my counting the first time I posted that comment. It's been a long week.

timidvenus said...

well, all i know is that i never had a teacher that wanted us to memorize elements. compounds, yes, but not elements.

im actually sort of hoping someone takes the test and tells me they did worse than i, as im feeling a bit down that i knew so few when i studied chem for so long.

George Rutherford said...

I got 34. I did get Rutherfordium.

carly said...

SARA. you want someone who did worse than you did?

um. how about i wouldn't even know where to start.

my senior year i had the choice of taking chemistry or environmental science. my dad said, "honey, you'll fail chemistry."

i got an 'a' in environmental science, though.

timidvenus said...

lol carly. thats funny. my senior year i took ap chem, along with 2 other sciences (never took environmental though), and i was only able to do that because i took history at a jc the summer before. i couldnt be bothered with wasting a whole year of high school on a history class. what a dork!

and dad, thanks for getting less than i did.

Bek said...

Um....I really do not know what to say about the history comment....maybe if I was your teacher you would have liked class.

carly said...

I ended up with a BA in Writing. Math and science have never been my thing.

Although. I 've always identified with that one kid in the movie SpaceCamp who says, "I love science. Now, ask me if I'm good at science...."