Monday, March 10, 2008

monday morning

i was thinking this weekend about all the classes i took in biology in college. while at the zoo, i noticed a lot of palnts that i remembered from some lower-level bio class (i think it was probably the second sememser of the intro to bio for biology majors since it had a rediculous amount of lab hours each week, at least if i remember correctly), and we had to memorize the class, order and family of these plants. it was really the begining of my dislike for biology, and truthfully, one of the only two classes that made me wonder about why i would ever want to learn bio in the first place. anyhoo, these plants i saw made me wonder why on gods green earth i ever had to memorize what they were classified as (is that even the right way to put it?), and it made me a little mad even, to think of all the time i wasted learning about equisetopsida, and recognizing it in a lab, for an exam, when i could have been learning something important. i suppose it was good, in some way, but i am sure i missed the point, which was probably something like learning to recognize differences in plants that are important, rather than things that make them alike (but theyre all green...). whatever. what i really wanted to say, was that this thinking about plants made me wonder how dr prince is doing, a professor i had for one of my genetics classes (my favorite bio teacher, hands down, as well as my favorite subject in biology). he was awesome, and if i thought he would remember me i would send him an email right now, but he wouldnt, so i wont bother him (he's one of those sporadic types of people, and i can just imagine him feeling like he needed to write me back, even though he wouldnt know who i was, and never getting around to it because he would always have some super-important thought that he has to work on, about some pepper plant in brazil or something).



also, i got a new dress this weekend:

9 comments:

Fenrisar said...

See Here

Ann Thrope said...

Nice.. you have such good taste in dresses, I really like the other dress you posted several months ago.

Monticore said...

Is that from Target? Also what public bathroom are you in?

Adam said...

Horsetails are awesome. I tried to get them to grow in my yard.

timidvenus said...

thanks, e.

h- no, its from urban outfitters. and i was in one of the mortuary bathrooms.

a- and you can wash dishes with them.

Demirep said...

Dear Sara,

You are adorable and I am thoroughly enjoying that cardigan/dress combo. I am jealous of your sassiness. In the future, if you would consider setting aside some of the aforementioned sass so that others may experience it for themselves, it would be greatly appreciated by many concerned parties.

sincerely,

Demirep

George Rutherford said...

I'm thinking that in the sciences and most other studies, it is important to have people who look at things differently than their teachers and peers. Otherwise, we wouldn't discover new ways of understanding. After all, our ideas are only attempts at defining reality, kind of looking for analogies that explain. So, I think you are right to have those memories of wondering why you had to memorize those facts.

Fenrisar said...

This comment has been removed because it linked to malicious content. Learn more.

Webcam said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Webcam, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://webcam-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.