Monday, March 05, 2007

postpartum depression

well, the past couple of weeks ive been thinking a lot about how crappy ive been feeling, and so i called my aunt joanne on friday (i didnt want to worry my mom and dad) and she said i should go see my doctor about postpartum depression. i called my o.b. this morning and made the earliest appointment they had, march 15th. then i went to this monthly breast-feeding support group that meets once a month at the hospital i delivered at. its just a group of moms that get together led by a lactation consultant, and we bring our lunches and chat about mom stuff. ive been to them in months pryor, and thought i would talk about feeling so down, mostly because i have been afraid that the doctor would tell me something like 'well, your hormones are all wacky and will be until you stop breastfeeding, so you decide'. when i finally got up the nerve to tell the group about it (for some reason i was very embarrased about it) i immeadiately started crying (which i am sure made me look even crazier) telling them all of this stuff. they were all very nice and even a bit apalled at me having to wait so long to see the doctor ('it takes zoloft 2 weeks to kick in' one gal said, i thought that was funny) and one lady asked who my doctor was. when i told her she said that hers was the same doctor and that she had an appointment tomorrow morning and did i want to switch appointments with her, which i did. so, i appologize for the lack of posting, and i will really try harder. i feel better already, having had people to talk to about the whole situation.

in other news: we tried out a new church on sunday, the bridge. jenny and phil go there, but didnt go this past sunday. folks were nice, but the speaker wanst that great, although he was a oune-time guest speaker. so well have to try it again.

7 comments:

Adam said...

I'm glad you spoke up and I hope you get whatever care you need.

bstigs said...

I'm not sure what to say, cause i've never been in your situation. But I'm so proud of you that you spoke up, sometimes that the hardest thing to do. I hope that your appointment helps. Take care!

Monticore said...

You did the right thing Sara. You don't have to suffer. If the zoloft doesn't work keep trying something will work.

I don't talk about it much but I've taken antidepressants since I was 16. Two years ago I fell into a really bad clinical depression. It lasted over a year despite weekly therapy with a psychiatrist and trying every medication in the book. During this time I was almost hospitalized at least twice and came very close to committing suicide twice. I thought it would never end but it did and after finding the right pills, I've been depression free for 11 months.

Depression is a lonely, tiring road. However I know that the answers will come for you Sara. Don't give up and don't be too hard on yourself. You will feel better and it's not your fault if you don't yet.

I'll keep you in my prayers and you can email or call me anytime if you want to talk about this or just need a shoulder to lean on.

wise said...

i am also proud of you for speaking up and seeking help. i look forward to seeing you and your family again (either you guys coming to fresno, or me going to bakersfield)

timidvenus said...

you guys are the best. the absolute best...

my doctor perscribed a birth control pill with a low dose of estrogen. she thinks that it will help stabilize me a bit since estrogen is pretty much non-existant while breastfeeding. the only drawback is that it might decrease milk production (insert cow joke here), in which case she said to stop taking it and its zoloft for me. also, she said it might not be the cure, in which case i am to start zoloft...hmmm...

miracle drug???

Scott & Malisa Johnson said...

I'm so glad that you spoke up. It's hard sometimes being around new moms who talk about how wonderful life is after a new baby, when all you think of is how miserable you seem to be. (And sometimes moms who would never admit that there could be a problem, as to let down their precious ego.... how fake)

Good for you for being honest with yourself and everybody else. You have never been one to put up a front! :) Keep us updated, and I hope the estrogen helps.

Monticore said...

Okay Sara,
It's been a week have you gotten over the drowsiness? You can take it at night if your having too much day time sleepiness. Also you shouldn't have to wait 2 weeks for a Dr.'s appointment. All you have to do is throw around some good buzz words like, depressed, thoughts of sucide, can't take care of my self etc... They'll get you in ASAP.